Joss Haynes was a sugar cane planter and a politician who was active in local government throughout his career. As was common amongst the Barbados elite, the family built a weekend beach retreat where they could escape the island's windy and rugged east coast - they chose Cobblers Cove. The original plantation house was built in 1944 on the site of the original Quaker Battery Station and was then called Camelot, a name still retained today as one of the signature suites in the Great House as well as the hotel’s restaurant. At this time, the west coast of Barbados was largely undeveloped.
In 1968, Camelot was sold to Alan Godsal and his wife, Lady Elizabeth. Camelot was renamed as Cobblers Cove after the Frigate Bird, also called the Cobbler bird, which you still see fishing outside the hotel in Godings Bay. The house was converted into a hotel and by the 1980s was well established as a luxury boutique hotel with a reputation for fine food and wines, becoming a member of the prestigious Relais & Châteaux collection of hotels and resorts.
More recently, Alan’s son, Hugh, took on the role of overseeing the management of Cobblers Cove and alongside his wife Sam, remains closely involved in the development of the property and its direction for the future.